Friday, March 18, 2016

A Story From the Life of Joan K. Ghostwritten by Sam S.


Photo courtesy of www.eclectablog.com
A Story From the Life of Joan K. Ghostwritten by Sam S.


An Unexpected Trip to Meijer


I glanced down, and watched my feet advance across the street, gliding over the yellow stripes, closer and closer to the Meijer entrance. My eyes shot over to my wrist watch as an old, stout man greeted me,

“Welcome to Meijers!” I smiled then responded with

“Hello.”  I then let out a small sigh of frustration due to my tight timetable. I entered the store, and a slight grin appeared on my face as I admired the sheer size. It still amazes me to this day because I always remember my first visit to a Meijer’s, wondering if it was the largest structure in the world. My eyes shot over to the deli to the left moving across the aisles that were loaded with delicious delicacies.  As I marched down the main aisle towards the back left of the store a red, blue, and white box caught the corner of my left eye. I recalled Adam saying that he wanted me to pick up Twinkies. I placed two boxes in the cart, because even I couldn’t resist the delicious gold sponge cake! I continued down the aisle and took a right as I saw shampoo products entering the aisle where my goods lay.  I slunk down the diaper aisle and scanned for the usual brand I get. A young man wearing a shaggy haircut and a “Members Only” jacket, rolled around the corner entering the aisle. He called out to me.

“Anything I can help you with, ma’am?” I kept searching and then responded

“Umm… I don’t see the normal BornToLove diapers I normally get…”  He nodded slowly

“May I ask how old is your son or daughter ma’am?”

“My Rosy, oh I mean Zoe is 2 years old.” I watched him slowly nod his head again

“Yes… yes. May I recommend the Pampers Diapers they are dank, because they very fitting and have a high resistance for liquids”

“Okay, I’ll take them,” I said mainly because I was in a rush despite the fact of them being the most expensive diapers at the aisle. I quickly walked away and saw in my peripheral vision that the shaggy haired man saluted me. I prowled down the main aisle back towards the entrance and the cash register. I found a spot in the checkout line behind two other customers. Shortly after, man filed in behind me in line. It was a slow, dreary Sunday at Meijers. I then glanced around the store and I muttered

“I wish they could speed it up, up there.” As I tried to look over the lady’s shoulder in front of me to try to see what was holding up the line. The man behind me shot a smirk and said in a joking tone

“Got anywhere to be?”  I laughed a little and then replied

“Yes I actually have a seminar tonight at a congregation downtown.” A puzzled look appeared on the man’s face.

“Are you a some type of a priest?” he asked in a confused tone.

“No, I actually am a nurse and I teach people the facts about  HIV and AIDS and how the HIV virus can be spread in more common ways than people think.”

The man stopped and he processed what I said for a second.

“Wow, I never knew that…sounds like a fascinating job.”

A grin from ear to ear appeared on my face.

“Thank you very much” I said as I turned back around while the colors of candy bar wrappers flashed in front of my face. The lady in front of me was checking out and she noticed that I turned around. She looked at me like I was one of her long lost siblings. I smiled at her.

“You look really familiar to me,” she said. “You’re the American Red Cross instructor who educated my workplace on HIV and AIDS!”

I kept on smiling.

“Yep, that was me!” This lady was a loud outspoken, always full of energy gal.

“Yeah, yeah! What’s your name again?”

“Joan. I actually have another seminar tonight at at congregation downtown”

“Oh! How cool!” After saying that, she picked up her bags and begin to walk away

“See ya Joan!” I let out a small laugh and replied

“Bye-bye!” I stepped up to the cash register and gave the cashier my pamper diapers. I searched around the store and watched her as she was about to walk out the doors. She stopped, turned around started to yell

“Hey Joan, good luck with your HIV!”

The bustling commotion and noise of the store died. My muscles tensed up and I struggled to swallow the knot in the back of my throat. A once noisy store fell completely silent. It was so quiet I could hear my own embarrassment.  I felt satisfaction too.  She had learned the facts about HIV and she no longer harbored discrimination and stigma about AIDS that she likely had before the class. I picked up the diapers and hurried out the door quickly. In those moments you consider everyday life, embarrassing moments can arise. For me the unexpected trip to Meijer’s is a perfect example!