Friday, March 18, 2016

A Story From the Life of John G. Ghostwritten by Will G.



Photo courtesy of John H.

A Story From the Life of John G.
Ghostwritten by Will G.


The Agent


I watched like a bird looking down on the huge green field. The players looked like little white and green specs. The national championship was up for grabs both teams had played hard for 4 quarters. It was time for overtime.

“All right gentlemen welcome to overtime. Ohio State is the away team they Call the toss!”

As I sat in my red movie style chair in the large square press box I reflected on the season that Ohio State had and it’s coach. The man with the sweater vest and tie. The man who nobody knew. Jim Tressel. Ten years ago Jim and I had just started out. I represented him at Youngstown State that was back when we were at the bottom. We had to build are way up to the best level. Everyone has to start from the bottom if they want to get to the top. I still remember the way Jim rose to the top it was like it happened over night. It was January of 2001. That was the beginning of the dynasty. We were in the aging St. John's Arena. I remember sitting in the Press box with my son Todd, and the athletic director Andy Geiger. I just remember how nervous I was almost the entire time I looked down at the block O carpet. But then Jim lit  a fire in Buckeye nation's heart he said:  

“You’ll be proud of our young people in the classroom, in the community, and most especially in 310 days…  in Ann Arbour Michigan on the football field!” That was just the beginning.  

“OOOOOOOOO!!!!” The roar of the the Buckeye faithful took me out of my day dream. It was third down. Miami had won the toss and started with the ball in Overtime.

“The ball is snapped Dorsey rolls out and hits his man in the endzone! 24-17 Miami!” Now it was the Buckeyes turn to try and keep their season hopes alive. I almost felt use to feeling this nervous during Ohio State games because almost every single game came down to the wire. But this game, you have no idea. I felt like I had 3 million butterflies in my stomach. It was first down on Miami’s 20 yard line. The line all bunched together as tightly as possible. From my box I looked down on to the field and it almost looked like the offensive and defensive lines were touching each other they were so close. Miami was was like spring loaded bear trap ready to explode the entire stadium knew what was going to happen.

“Set Hut!” Krenzel took two steps back and handed it to Maurice Clarett. He was stuffed at the line of scrimmage. After that play I could barely even watch it felt like after first down 2nd and third down were just a blur. Then came fourth down. I thought to myself we can easily pound the ball into the endzone here there is no need for a pass. These are the fourth down situations that this team does its best in short yardage situation. I watched as Craig Krenzel went under center he had Maurice Clarett to his left. he snapped the ball took three steps back his eyes darted from receiver to receiver. No one had a great match up so he threw it to his must trusted receiver. Michael Doss. The ball was thrown in a tight spiral it felt like it was in the air for a good minute. The receiver and the corner go up for the ball… and it is incomplete.  I could not believe it! Why wouldn’t Jim choose to run the ball! But then another object was thrown except this object was a yellow penalty flag.

“Pass Interference on the defense number 31 half the distance to the goal automatic first down!”

“Yes!!” I was so happy I hugged both of my sons and sat right back down and waited for play to start again. This time Crenzel went right under center and drove his legs right throw into the pile and into the endzone for and Ohio State touchdown. Only one overtime to go both teams hustled out onto the field.

“Set Hut!”

“Krenzel on the give to Clarett, Clarett side steps dives into the endzone for an Ohio State touchdown!! Now the only chance Miami has of staying alive in this game is with a touchdown.”  Miami has the ball now it seems as if all hope is lost. On first and second down Miami couldn’t get anything going.

“It’s 3rd and 1 on Ohio State's 1 yard line Dorsey hands the ball off to Quadtrine Hill… Hill is stuffed at the line for no gain! That Ohio State front is just too strong for the Miami line,” said the commentator. “Well Miami faithful this could be the last play of the season for your Canes here we go.” I remember it vividly Ken Dorsey took the snap he was under pressure from Big Cie Grant. Cie grant grabbed his jersey and threw him back. Dorsey barely got the pass off, and the pass… oh that pass felt like it was in the air forever but it had only been a three second play. Finally the ball fell incomplete. I watched as Craig krenzel and the Scarlet and Gray stormed the field with joy. Their helmets shined as they raised them up to the sky. They had just won their first National championship in 32 years. It was surreal that just 20 minutes ago the green and orange of Miami had rushed the field thinking they had won the beautiful diamond football coaches trophy. I then watched as the stadium staff rolled out the giant podium where Jim Tressel and the Ohio State Buckeyes received their trophy. I watched as Tressel in his scarlet vest raised up the diamond cut coaches trophy and presented it to the crowd. He opened his mouth to an O shape because he was so happy to receive the beautiful trophy.

“We have the best damn band in the land, we have the best damn fans in the land, and now we have the best damn team in the land!” Jim Tressel had just made it to the top.

Courtesy of Chris C.