Friday, April 15, 2016

Story From the Life of Pamela C. Ghostwritten by Ryan Z.

Photo courtesy of https://chuckmanchicagonostalgia.wordpress.com
A Story From the Life of Pamela C.

Ghostwritten by Ryan Z.

Life in the 50’s

Life is all about the great times you have with people, and the memories you make with them. You need to cherish the great moments you have and remember how good we all have it.

“Thanks Mom”, I yelled as I sprint out the door with my peanut butter sandwich and thermos full of water. As Peter, my nextdoor neighbor, and I hopped up on his horses and headed up into the mountains. It was always a good feeling when I would see Peter and his long brown hair and big brown eyes. Peter had the same color hair I did, but mine was much longer and curlier. As always, I hopped onto Scout, a Pinto horse with white with brown spots, and Peter rode the beije Palomino. The Santa Ynez mountain range was about five miles up to road, and it took about one hour to get to the top. The ride was always the best part of the weekend, seeing all of the beautiful blooming trees, and flowers. Especially the captivating purple Lupin.
“Hey Peter, check out this polywog that I just caught”. I shouted.

“Awe awesome let’s take them back and they if they grow into frogs!” Peter yelled across the creek.

But best of all having no worries at all, not having to worry about getting mugged, or no worries on coming home at a certain time. Peter and I would spend the whole day at the top of the mountain swimming in the 10 foot deep creeks and just having a break from everyone and everything. At this time, Peter and I were 12 years young and we were allowed to roam freely with no worries, we knew we would be safe. It was a very stress free life, sitting at the top of the mountain, the smell of the bright green trees, and colorful flowers, and the rushing of the creek flowing down to the bottom. Living In Santa Barbara was really the best time of my life, being able to go to the beach and the bright sunshine year round, the economy was booming, families had 30% more purchasing power than they did at the beginning of the decade, everyone was happy and life was great. The ride with Peter back down to our houses was always a lot more tiring since we have been runnin’ and gunnin’ all day long. When I got home I would put Peter’s horses back in the stable and stay there for a while brushing and taking care of the horses. When I got home Mom would have dinner prepared for me, and if I was lucky enough, I would still have time to go outside and play with my neighborhood friends.

Another fun and amazing time that I always looked forward to was spending the summer with my cousin Fred and Uncle Bob. Fred would be driven up by his parents Uncle Bob and Aunt Audrey, then he would stay at my house for two weeks. After that we both would head to the train station and ride to his house and stay there for a few weeks, then eventually my mom would come and pick me up.  We also got served great meals in booths with white linen covering the table. The porter would come around and take our order for breakfast and we would eat with our silverware and plates. For breakfast I would often order my favorite which was pancakes, with sausage and bacon and to top it off with a nice hot chocolate with whip cream.

The train ride from my home town in Santa Barbara to his house in Los Angeles took about two hours. I always looked up to Fred as a brother seeing that I was an only child and that he was two years older than I was, and Uncle Bob being the father that I never got to meet. Uncle Bob built us a big swimming pool in the backyard out of canvas and a wood frame with big seats on the side of it. Uncle Bob and Fred were built the same way very tall and lengthy although Uncle Bob had Brown wavy hair and Fred had Blonde wavy hair. We would fill the pool with the hose, and play games in the pool. After swimming and playing in the pool we would go on walks and hikes down in the wash, a big place located in LA where the water would rush down from the mountains. We would find little black water snakes and Fred would always try to pick them up, while I was trying not to scream my head off. Then when night time rolled around Uncle Bob and Aunt Audrey would barbeque us a great dinner and watch the sunset, as we had no worries, and no stress. It really was the time of my life.