Thursday, March 17, 2016

A Story From the Life of Richard B. Ghostwritten by Hannah B.

FullSizeRender.jpg
Photo courtesy of Richard B.


A Story From the Life of Richard B.
Ghostwritten by Hannah B.


Time


You never understand accomplishment until you persevere and achieve after being completely rejected. Being drafted to Germany for almost two years made returning to my home state of Connecticut with a wife and a newborn difficult enough without the pressure of having no job. I immediately began to search for work in the booming business industry suited for the education I had received before my voyage to Europe.  
My job pursuit began in Ohio with an interview I got at The Ohio Company. Thinking about what my life would be like when I landed my dream job of being a stockbroker, my left foot followed my right, through the door of the building that would later crush my spirit.
The lips of Eddie Miller, the gentleman conducting my interview, curved upwards as the secretary ushered me into an office. Shaking hands, we both took a seat. After getting down to business, Miller advised I come back when age and experience were on my side.
“The best I can tell you is for you to ever have a chance, you’ll need some sort of business experience. Whether it’s sales, marketing… come back when you have that.”  
My heart sunk, but I wouldn’t let it show through my face. Politely, we said our goodbyes, but knowing we would meet again when I got the experience he advised.
In order to take my mind off the rejection, a lack of money, and a crying child, I went out to a party with some old friends.
There was a man there. An old family friend, named Bill Blanton. We chatted about our days and he showed interest in my job interview from the hours before. I expressed my concern, confiding in him about my difficulties to locate a good job. Maybe he really wanted to help me, or maybe my luck that day had made a huge U-turn. He informed me that his firm, Herff Jones, had an opening available selling rings, metals, pins, etc. and the job could be mine.
I thought about it. Having no other way to turn, I took the position as a salesman, comforted by the fact I was moving a step in the right direction. Quite a big step actually. I moved my wife and growing child to Ashland, Ohio.
Several years passed in my life as a salesman. My family grew larger and larger. Now, two young boys and a beautiful daughter. More children to support meant more work that needed to be done. I excelled at my job, getting better with every sale.
Being a salesman in the business industry requires a good amount of travel. Indianapolis was a common meeting place. Employees crowded in a room. Voices bouncing through the air. And then, dead silence as announcements began.
“And now for the most exemplary awards of the year; for most increase in the business, topping $50,000 this year…. Mr. Richard Blake.”
Astonished. Mind blown. Pure joy. All rushing through me at that very second as I moved toward the front of the room to collect whatever prize I won.
To my surprise, it wasn’t some silly old trinket. Handed to me was a polished, gold watch. Beautifully engraved in the band were the words “Dick Blake. 50 Thousand Club.” I knew as I stared at the token between my fingers this was the kind of experience Miller was looking for.
Urgently, I ventured to my hotel room. Dialing the numbers 614.
“Mr. Eddie Miller?” I half gasped and half coughed after a voice answered.
“Yes. Who is this?” he asked back.
“Richard Blake, are you available tomorrow morning?” And with that we were scheduled for our second interview.
I returned to Columbus. I walked through the same doors I did three years ago, but this time without the slightest bend in my back and my chin tilted up. Miller greeted me in the same interview room where I sat three years before. I placed my trophy on the desk and slid it over. Adrenaline pumping within me, ready to see his reaction. He picked it up, turned it over, and skimmed my name. I reminded him of the conversation we had the last time we stood here together. I knew everything had payed off--the rejection, the traveling, the perseverance--when he picked up his phone and spoke.


“Sir, I am sending our new trainee, Richard Blake, down...”